Tuesday 1 May 2007

Bashar set to retire from ODIs after India series

Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar is going to retire from One-day Internationals in a bid to extend his Test career. Bashar revealed his decision in a press conference yesterday (Monday) and hinted that the upcoming home series against India is going to be his last outing in the shorter version of the game.

Bashar is set to retire from ODI.

Bashar is set to retire from ODI © Reuters

"What I want to concentrate fully on is Test cricket to prolong my career and that's why I'm thinking about my one-day career, I want to give the young guys more opportunities," said Bashar.

"I will officially announce my plan before the India tour but I want to convey my decision to my teammates first," Bashar added.

However, the 34 year-old most successful ODI captain of Bangladesh ruled out speculations that his poor form with the bat in the World Cup is the reason behind his decision.

"It's not that I have had a very poor show with the bat in the World Cup rather I had been thinking before the World Cup. I even talked with some of my colleagues and well-wishers about my plan before leaving the country for the World Cup," he said.

In the press conference Bashar admitted that he failed to live up with the expectations of fans in one-day cricket.

"I must admit that I have not batted well in one-day cricket throughout my career. But interestingly I have had very good performances for the preceding year except the World Cup," he added.

Bashar has a remarkably good Test record with 2838 runs in 42 matches including three hundreds at an average of 34.60, which is in stark contrast with his one-day record. Bashar managed 2125 runs in 109 matches at a modest average of 21.68.

The three match GrameenPhone one-day series against India starts from 10th May at Sher E Bangla National Stadium, Dhaka.

No comments: